End of mandatory receipt on August 1, 2023
Publié le 04 avril 2023 - Legal and Administrative Information Directorate (Prime Minister)
This page has been automatically translated. Please refer to the page in French if needed.
Originally planned on 1er january 2023 then on 1er April 2023, the end of automatic receipt printing will apply in France from 1er August 2023. This change is being made in the context of the fight against waste and substances dangerous to health. It will nevertheless remain possible to request the printing of the receipt. In the face of this major development for retailers and consumers, new elements have to be taken into account.
Automatic receipt printing completed on August 1, 2023
Pursuant to Law No. 2020-105 of 10 February 2020 on the fight against waste and the circular economy, receipts will no longer be automatically printed by the merchant from 1er August 2023. This change is motivated by the fight against dangerous substances in receipts and to remedy the significant waste represented by these receipts (30 billion receipts printed each year).
The following are concerned:
- receipts produced in sales areas and establishments receiving the public;
- tickets issued by automatic machines;
- bank card tickets;
- vouchers and promotional or discount tickets.
In order to obtain a printed receipt, the consumer will now have to expressly ask the trader. The latter is also required to inform the consumer in a legible and comprehensible manner by means of a display at the place where the payment is made.
Some receipts will always be printed automatically after 1er August 2023. The following are concerned:
- the receipts for the purchase of so-called ‘durable goods’, which mention the existence and duration of the legal guarantee of conformity. This applies to household appliances, computer equipment or telephony equipment, for example. The full list of these goods can be found in Article D211-6 of the Consumer Code;
- bank card tickets relating to canceled or credited transactions will also always be systematically printed;
- bank card payment transactions that are canceled or credited;
- tickets issued by machines whose preservation and presentation are necessary to benefit from a product or service;
- cash receipts or other billing documents printed by non-automatic weighing instruments.
Cash receipt dematerialization solutions
Already available, these solutions replace paper receipts.
These e-tickets will be sent to the buyer:
- by SMS;
- by e-mail
- by message in the buyer's banking application (using the credit card sends the e-ticket automatically to the application);
- by QR code (allows you to retrieve your e-ticket from a web page).
In accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the collection of data from the purchaser is subject to the purchaser’s explicit consent.
Please note : If the consumer does not consent and the receipt is not printed, the only trace of the purchase will be the display at the checkout of the amount of the transaction.