Selecting a language will automatically trigger the translation of the page content.

What should I do if I have difficulty paying my rent?

Verified 10 October 2022 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)

In case of difficulties in paying the rent of the dwelling you live in, you must try to find an amicable solution with the owner (landlord). You can also check if you are entitled to social assistance (housing assistance...). If you are in financial difficulty, you may need to file a debt distress report.

You can try to find an amicable solution with the owner of the house you live in. For example, you can ask them to give you extra time to pay rent and expenses, or you can spread the payment out in installments. If you find an agreement, it is recommended to write it down, and sign it together.

If you have trouble finding a solution with the owner, you can contact a conciliator of justiceSo he can help you. The conciliator intervenes free of charge.


If the landlord has initiated a procedure to terminate the lease and obtain your eviction from the dwelling, you can to request payment periods from the court.

Housing aid from the Cof (or the MSA)

You can contact the Caf: titleContent (or the MSA: titleContent if you are dependent on the farm plan) to apply for housing assistance (APL, ALS, ALF), or request that its amount be changed as a result of a change in situation (separation, unemployment, etc.).


in the event of unpaid rents, housing assistance can continue to be provided to you to reduce your rent debt and, if possible, avoid being evicted from your home.

You're dependent on the Cfa

To apply for housing assistance:

Who shall I contact

To report a situation change:

Family Allowances and Benefits - Situation Statement (Cf)

You depend on the MSA
Who shall I contact

Aid for Housing Action

You can get help fromHousing action for your unpaid or payable rents and charges. To do this, you must be an employee or pre-retiree or a job seeker whose last employer is a non-agricultural private sector company of 10 or more employees.

This assistance can take the form of an interest-free loan or of a grant.

It shall be granted within the framework of a social support provided by Action Logement. This social support is a free and confidential service. To request service intervention, you must use the form:

Request for social support by Action Logement

Other aid and social support

You can contact a social worker (for example, a social worker or a social and family economy counselor) to find out what other social supports you may be entitled to (for example, the Solidarity Fund for Housing (FSL)).

You can meet a social worker, depending on the case:

This social worker may also offer you a social support, i.e. following you to solve your problems.

General case
Who shall I contact
Who shall I contact

If your difficulties in paying rent and expenses are added to at least one other outstanding debt, you can file a debt distress report.

Who can help me?

Find who can answer your questions in your region