Selecting a language will automatically trigger the translation of the page content.

What happens if you can't pay the hospital bills?

Verified 19 February 2020 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)

The hospital may request payment of the hospital costs

  • to the spouse of the patient,
  • children (including son-in-law or daughter-in-law) of the patient,
  • or to the insurers of those responsible for the accident if the person hospitalized has been the victim of an accident.

With the patient's spouse

This action is possible even if the spouses de facto or de facto..

Only a final divorce ends the obligation of relief between the spouses.

With the sick's children

Children may participate in the settlement of hospital debt for maintenance obligation..

Similarly, the son-in-law or/and daughter-in-law may be required to contribute to the hospitalization costs of their in-laws unless their husband or wife and the couple's children have died, as the marriage relationship no longer exists. This obligation for sons and daughters-in-law also ceases in the event of divorce.