What is a citizenship ceremony and the handing over of electoral cards?
Verified 04 May 2021 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)
The ceremony allows the mayor to meet each 18-year-old newly registered to vote in his commune.
A young person who has reached the age of 18 and is on the electoral roll shall be invited as a young person:
- ex officio registrant further to its military census
- or having made a voluntary registration on the voters list
- or registered as a citizen of another EU Member State
don't confuse me citizenship ceremony and welcoming ceremony in french citizenship.
The ceremony can take place throughout the year, outside the election campaign periods for a poll concerning all or part of the territory of the commune.
In particular, the City Hall may invite the Prefect or his representative.
The speech of the mayor (or one of his deputies) must recall the fundamental principles of the republic, democracy and our political system. The ceremony must make the link between the presentation of the electoral map, the military census and Defense and Citizenship Day (JDC).
The voter card is given to the young person.
One citizen's book may also be given to him.
during this ceremony, the mayor acts as an agent of the state and is bound by a duty of strict neutrality.
Participation in the ceremony is not mandatory.
In case of absence:
- Either the youth is invited to a future ceremony
- Either the card is sent by mail to the home indicated by the young person no later than April 30 of the following year (or 3 days before the poll)
- The card shall be made available to him on polling day at the polling station concerned. In order to obtain it, the voter must present identification.
- Electoral Code: Articles L9 to L15-1Automatic registration (Articles L11-1 and L11-2)
- Electoral Code: Articles R22 to R25Electoral Map
- Circular of 22 October 2013 on the organization of the citizenship ceremony (PDF - 945.7 KB)
- Instruction INTA1830120J of 21 November 2018 on the keeping of the electoral lists and supplementary electoral lists (PDF - 2.0 MB)
- Addendum to instruction INTA1830120J of 21 November 2018 on the keeping of supplementary lists of electorsCitizenship Ceremony
- Citizen's booklet (PDF - 975.9 KB)Ministry responsible for youth