How do I challenge the refusal to register a Civil partnership?
Verified 15 September 2022 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)
Having trouble registering your Civil partnerships with the city hall? You can file an appeal.
Your recourse depends on your situation.
Répondez aux questions successives et les réponses s’afficheront automatiquement
Your file is complete, but the city hall is requesting additional documents
The registrar verifies that your civil partnership file is complete.
He can turn down an incomplete file.
If your file is complete, the city hall cannot request additional documents (proof of domicile for example).
In the event of a blockage, you can make a hierarchical appeal to the ministry of justice.
If it does not succeed, you can turn to the Defender of Rights.
these remedies are also available if you wish to conclude your Civil partnership abroad, in a french embassy or consulate.
Your application is declared inadmissible
The City Hall may refuse to register your Civil partnership if you are in one of the following situations:
- Disability of one of you (for example, if you are a minor)
- Prevented due to family ties between you 2
- One of you is already married or past
The registrar who refuses to register the Civil partnership must give you a copy of his decision.
This decision of inadmissibility must be reasoned.
It mentions your right of appeal.
if you are french and wish to conclude your Civil partnership abroad, it is the registrar of the french embassy or consulate who is competent.
You must address your appeal to the President of the Court of your domicile.
Attach a copy of the city council decision.
Who shall I contact
If the decision of inadmissibility has been taken by a diplomatic or consular agent, you must address yourself to the President of the Court of Nantes.
Who shall I contact
The judge decides on an application for interim measures, that is to say within a short period of time.
Who can help me?
Find who can answer your questions in your region
- Decree No. 2006-1806 of 23 December 2006 on the declaration, modification, dissolution and publication of Civil partnershipsChallenge to the refusal of registration by the registrar (last paragraph of Article 1)
- Circular of 10 May 2017 on the transfer of Civil partnerships to registrars (PDF - 469.6 KB)Challenge of decisions of inadmissibility taken by the diplomatic or consular authority (point 1.1)
- Enter the Defender of Rights online
- To enter into a civil partnershipService-Public.fr