Is it allowed to unleash a motorcycle?
Verified 15 June 2023 - Legal and Administrative Information Directorate (Prime Minister)
Alone a professional can perform the unbridling of a motorcycle, and only in the following 2 cases :
- The reference model also exists in full power version and the motorcycle has an ABS type braking system. The debridling consists in transforming a motorcycle of 35 kW: titleContent accessible with the A2 permit , in version "less than 70 kW: titleContent ” accessible with the A permit.
- The manufacturer must have provided for this transformation during the European reception.
You must carte grise to have the certificate of registration amended ( in a 1-month period. Using a motorcycle that is unrestrained on the public road, and therefore does not comply with its registration certificate, is punishable by a contravention up to €1,500. The vehicle may be immobilized and impounded.
Who can help me?
Find who can answer your questions in your region
- Regulation (EU) 168/2013 on the approval and market surveillance of two- or three-wheel vehicles and quadricycles
- Directive 2006/126 of 20 December 2006 on driving licenses
- Highway Code: Articles L317-1 to L317-9Penalties for non-compliance with the rules related to debridling
- Order of 13 April 2016 relating to the power of motorcycles defined in Article R311-1 of the Highway Code
- Ministerial reply of 3 December 2019 on the amended motorcycle legislation
- Driving licenseService-Public.fr
- Motor insurance (vehicle)Service-Public.fr
- Carte grise (Certificate of Registration)Service-Public.fr
- Traffic offensesService-Public.fr
- Carte grise Modified vehicle and certificate of registration (ex-vehicle)Service-Public.fr
- Motorcycle license: A licenseService-Public.fr
- Motorcycle license: A1 license or 125 license (light motorcycle)Service-Public.fr
- Motorcycle license: A2 license (intermediate power motorcycle)Service-Public.fr
- Road Safety SiteMinistry of the Interior