Is the unloading of a motorcycle allowed?
Verified 06 February 2020 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)
Additional cases ?
Since 2016, the power of a motorcycle is no longer limited provided it is equipped with an anti-lock braking system (ABS).
However, deburring must be performed by a professional.
In addition, unloading is permitted only in the following 2 cases:
- The reference model also exists in full power version and the motorcycle is equipped with an ABS braking system.
- It's about unlocking a 35 kW: titleContent accessible to a driver with a A2 permit to convert it into a version "less than 70 kW: titleContent "accessible with permit A, if the manufacturer has provided for this possibility during the European reception..
Other unlocking operations are sanctioned.
The sale of mopeds, motorcycles and quadricycles with unbridled motors and the sale of parts allowing their unbridling are also sanctioned.
This applies to all types of sales, including between individuals.
In addition to fines, confiscation and imprisonment, a professional may also be prohibited from practicing the profession for 5 years.
- Regulation (EU) 168/2013 on type-approval and market surveillance of two- or three-wheel vehicles and quadricycles
- Directive 2006/126 of 20 December 2006 on driving licenses
- Route code: Articles L317-1 to L317-8Penalties for non-compliance with the rules relating to unloading
- Order of 13 April 2016 concerning the power of motorcycles defined in article R311-1 of the Highway Code
- Motorcycle License: permit A (large displacement greater than 125 cm3)Service-Public.fr
- Motorcycle License: A1 permit or 125 permit (light motorcycle)Service-Public.fr
- Motorcycle License: A2 permit (intermediate power motorcycle)Service-Public.fr