Private swimming pool safety
Verified 12 August 2021 - Legal and Administrative Information Directorate (Prime Minister)
Private pools for individual or collective use must be equipped with a safety device to prevent the risk of drowning, especially of young children. The device must meet certain standards. In case of non-compliance, you are liable to a fine. Swimming pools on the floor, inflatable or removable, are not included.
If you are the owner of a private swimming pool for individual or collective use (family or reserved for residents, hotel, camping, rural lodging...) whose pool is totally or partially buried, you must settle at least one of the following facilities:
- Protection barrier
- Sound alarm system (immersion alarm informing of the fall of a child in the water or perimeter alarm informing of a child's approach to the pool)
- Security Cover (Cover)
- A veranda-type shelter that covers the entire pool
Swimming pools on the floor, inflatable or removable, are not covered by this obligation.
It is recommended that you settle your protective barrier about 1 metre away from your swimming pool.
Your equipment must comply with standards of the French Standards Association (Afnor) .
Répondez aux questions successives et les réponses s’afficheront automatiquement
It must meet the standard NF P90-306.
It must meet the standard NF P90-307.
It must meet the standard NF P90-308.
It must meet the standard NF P90-309.
The security device can be settled by yourself or by the seller or installer of your choice.
The seller or installer must provide you with an information technical note that includes the following:
- Characteristics and conditions of operation and maintenance of the chosen safety device
- General prevention and recommendation measures to avoid drowning
In respect of the owner
If your swimming pool is not equipped with a safety device, you are liable to a fine of €45,000.
To the seller or installer
If the technical note is not provided, the seller or installer is liable to a fine of €45,000.
- Construction and Housing Code: Article L134-10Requirement to install a safety device
- Construction and Housing Code: Articles D128-1 to D128-4Methods of installing the safety device (D128-4)
- Construction and Housing Code: Article L183-13Criminal sanctions
- Installation or construction of a private swimming poolService-Public.fr
- Security of private poolsConsumer Competition and Fraud Enforcement Branch (DGCCRF)
- Pool safety (Afnor standards)French Association for Standardisation (Afnor)