Selecting a language will automatically trigger the translation of the page content.

Name change for legitimate reason: how do you change your civil status records?

Verified 11 août 2021 - Directorate of Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister), Ministry of Justice

You changed surname for legitimate reason but civil status documents have not been modified?

You must apply to public prosecutor of the court of your birthplace.

Attach the following documents to your application:

  • Amplification of the order authorising your change family name
  • Copy of the civil status documents concerned.
    These documents are not mandatory, but it is safe to attach them.
  • Certificate of non-opposition or a copy of the decision refusing the opposition.
    Contact the Council of State to obtain these documents (secretariat of the litigation section).
    You can use the form cerfa 12820 to request the non-opposition certificate.

  Warning : changes to your registration documents must take place at least 2 months after the issuance of the order authorising your name change. If third Opposes your name change, the change in your civil registration documents can only occur from the day the opposition is refused.

Once completed, your renaming is indicated on your registration documents.

Acts of your spouse or partner Civil partnerships and your children's actions also change if they changed their names at the same time you did.

You can then request new IDs: identity card, passport.