How can you challenge an increased fine if you have not received the notice of contravention?
Verified 15 May 2023 - Legal and Administrative Information Directorate (Prime Minister)
When you commit a infringement road transport operator, you receive a notice of violation to your home.
The notice of contravention shall indicate the amount of the flat-rate fine to be paid.
If you don't pay the flat-rate fine in the 45 days (60 days in case of payment by teleprocedure), you will receive a notice of increased fine.
The notice shall state the upright increased of the fine payable.
Failure to receive notice of contravention
If you have not received the notice of contravention, the main reason is that carte grise you have not had your vehicle’s address changed.
In this case, you can get a reassessment of the upright of the fine payable.
If you dispute the offense which resulted in the fine, not the amount of the fine, you can make a claim. See the Notice of Assessment of Monetary Penalty for instructions on how to proceed.
If the offense road traffic was detected by automatic radar, you received the lump sum notice of fine increased by registered letter.
In a three-month period from the date of dispatch of the notice of increased fine, you must justify that you have reported your change of address to the greycard department.
Then you have a 45-day period from the date of declaration of your change of address to pay the amount of the flat-rate fine. Payment of the flat-rate fine shall cancel the increase.
In this case, you no longer benefit from the possibility to pay the lump sum fine in the amount underrated.
The accounting officer of the public treasury research if you have a new address when the notice of increased fine sent by registered letter returns with the statement " no longer resides at the address indicated ' or ' party without address ”.
If he discover your new address in the one-year period from 1er registered mail, you receive a reminder letter.
You can then pay for the initial amount of the flat-rate fineand not the amount increased.
Here are the steps to follow :
carte grise 1. Change the address of the
You must carte grise change address on the vehicle's in a three-month period from when the reminder letter was sent.
2. Pay the initial amount of the lump sum fine
You have a deadline of 45 days to pay.
Carte grise The time period runs from the change of address declaration on your person or from the sending of the reminder letter if you made the declaration before.
Prepare the subsequent documents :
- Form application for cancelation of the increase, completed, dated and signed.
This form is attached to the reminder letter you received.
- Check of the amount of the flat-rate fine made payable to the public purse
- Pay stub located at the bottom of the reminder letter
- Copy of the carte grise, updated with your new address
Send these documents to the address given on the application form for cancelation of the increase.
Who can help me?
Find who can answer your questions in your region
- Code of Criminal Procedure: Articles 529 to 529-2-1Flat-rate fine
- Code of Criminal Procedure: Articles 530 to 530-6Flat-rate fine procedure
- Code of Criminal Procedure: Article R48-1 to R49-8Flat-rate fine
- Pay your fine online at fines.gouv.fr
- Check your infringement file
- Lump sum penalty notice: online challenge
- Apply online for a driving license
- Driving license: consult points and statements (Telepoints)
- Request for photography in case of radar fines
- Report an error upon receipt of the driver's license
- What is the risk in the event of a traffic offense?
- Point driver's license: how to make a claim?
- How do I know if I have a VP after a radar flash?
- Who pays the fine if the company's car has been flashed?
- Driving license balance: how to know the number of points?
- How do I request a Restricted Information Record (RIR)?
- Driving license: how to request a complete information record (RII)?
- Traffic offensesService-Public.fr
- Carte grise (Certificate of Registration)Service-Public.fr
- Driving licenseService-Public.fr
- Flashed vehicle (radar)Service-Public.fr
- Vehicle interceptedService-Public.fr
- Carte grise Change the address on yourService-Public.fr
- Notice of Contravention, Challenge, Lump Sum Penalty: Frequently Asked QuestionsMinistry of the Interior
- What is the public treasury?Public life