Motorcycle License: how to move from category A2 to category A?
Verified 03 August 2020 - Directorate of Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister), Ministry of the Interior
To obtain the A permit, you must hold the permit A2 since at least 2 years and further training.
You can take the training within 3 months before the anniversary date of the 2 years of obtaining the A2 permit.
If you got the A2 permit on the 1stto August 2020, you must complete the training between 1to May 2022 and July 31, 2022.
Training lasts 7 hours
The program is divided into 3 sequences.
To take this training, speak to a motorcycle school or to an association approved by the state.
Prices are free.
At the end of the training, your trainer will give you a follow-up certificate.
There is no exam to take.
this certificate does not allow you to drive a motorcycle or a 3-wheel vehicle in category A. You must have the corresponding license.
The motorcycle school is responsible for applying for your A license.
You must provide the following documents:
- Proof of identity
- Proof of domicile
- 2 identity photos (or digital photo identification if the car school makes the registration online)
- Copy of your A2 license
- Certificate of follow-up to the training required to move from category A2 to category A
- If you are French and under 25 years of age, copy of the individual certificate of participation in the defense and citizenship day (JDC) or of the provisional certificate pending convocation at the JDC or of the individual certificate of exemption
- If you are a foreigner, proof of regularity of your stay or if you are exempted from holding a residence permit, proof of your presence in France for at least 6 months (payroll, rent receipt...)
- Training program to upgrade from motorcycle A2 to AMinistry of the Interior