Can a woman giving birth under an X choose the child's first name?
Verified 17 December 2021 - Directorate of Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister), Ministry of Justice
Yes, a woman giving birth under X can choose the first name(s) she wishes to give the child.
The registrar on birth certificate.
If the mother has chosen 3 or more first names, the last one will serve as family name.
If the mother did not choose first names, the registrar who issued the birth certificate chooses 3 first names. Last name is the last name.
- Placement of a childService-Public.fr
- Civil statusService-Public.fr
- Change of marital statusService-Public.fr
- Plenary adoption: choice of child’s surnameService-Public.fr
- Simple adoption: effect on surnameService-Public.fr
- First names in France since 1900National Institute for Statistics and Economic Studies (INSEE)