Selecting a language will automatically trigger the translation of the page content.

Should I insure a collector's car?

Verified 10 January 2020 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)

One collector's car, like any motor land vehicle put into service, must be insured by its owner, at least with civil liability insurance (called third party).

You can also decide to subscribe to additional guarantees (e.g. damage to property or theft).

Since a collector vehicle over 30 years of age and usually only occasionally driving, the insurance contribution is lower than for an automobile classic.. In addition, some insurers offer very advantageous contracts reserved for this type of vehicle.

However, it may happen that the insurer requires you to insure at the same time as the collector car another, newer vehicle.

The insurer may also impose more restrictive conditions on the insurance of the collector car, for example by requiring

  • the driver is over 21 years of age
  • and/or that he was not responsible for an accident during the 2 years preceding the subscription of the contract.