Basic and supplementary public sector pensions: what differences?
Verified 18 February 2020 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)
Additional cases ?
Basic and supplementary pensions constitute 2 mandatory pension schemes. These plans operate on a pay-as-you-go basis, meaning that pensions paid out are financed by contributions from assets.
As a public service employee, you are contributing on your income simultaneously to a basic and a supplementary plan.
Your contributions are paid into pension funds that vary depending on whether you are a public servant or a contract agent.
The accumulated rights during your career are paid back as a pension upon retirement. You receive a basic pension and a supplementary pension.
If you civil servant in the State civil service, you receive:
- a basic pension paid by the SRE: titleContent
- and a supplementary pension paid by PSR: titleContent..
If you territorial or hospital officer, you receive:
- a basic pension paid by the CNRACL: titleContent
- and a supplementary pension paid by the RAFP.
If you contract agent, regardless of the public service in which you worked:
- a basic pension paid by the Pension Insurance of the General Social Security Scheme
- and a supplementary pension paid by theIrcantec: titleContent..
The rules for calculating your pension are different in basic and supplementary pension plans:
- Basic plans take into account the remuneration you have contributed to and your number of quarters of old-age insurance.
- Complementary plans (the RAFP and the Ircantec) are point-based pension plans. Your contributions are converted into retirement points during your career. When you retire, your points are converted into a pension.
in addition to mandatory basic and supplementary pensions, you can contribute to individual retirement savings plans (supplementary retirement). These contributions are voluntary.
- Pension site of State officialsState Pension Service (SRE) - Ministry of Public Finance
- CNRACL websiteNational Pension Fund for Local Government Employees (CNRACL)
- RAFP siteAdditional Public Service Retirement Institution (PSSA)
- Ircantec websiteComplementary pension institution for non-public officials and public authorities (Ircantec)