Selecting a language will automatically trigger the translation of the page content.

Living in social housing in shared housing: under what conditions?

Verified 19 February 2021 - Legal and Administrative Information Directorate (Prime Minister)

A shared accommodation is a rented accommodation by several "tenants in title" (persons who are signatories to the lease agreement with the lessor). In the case of social housing, the social landlord (public housing office, mixed economy company, ...) signs a rental contract with each roommate. The colocation follows specific rules. Be careful, a lodging rented by a couple or married is not a shared flat.

It is possible to live in a empty or furnished social housing shared.

This is the case when several people share a flat which they all use as their main residence. Each roommate has a room reserved for his personal use and all use some common rooms (kitchen, bathroom...).

To do this, each roommate made his own application for social housing and each signed a lease with the social landlord.

In the case of social housing, it is possible to form joint housing with:

  • family members (only cousin, cousin, aunt, uncle, nephew, niece)
  • or persons who do not belong to his family (friends, co-workers)

Please note

if the people you want to live with in social housing do not belong to these categories, then you will live together as co-owners. You have to  social housing together you will sign a single lease with the social landlord.

In order to obtain social housing, you must respect a resource cap.

Each roommate must respect the resource limit that corresponds to their situation.

Example :

In the case of a 4-person roommate, consisting of 1 lone adult and one adult living with 2 children:

  • 1to the roommate must meet the resource limit that applies when there is only one person to house
  • 2e roommate must meet the resource limit that applies when there are 3 people to house

Each roommate must make a social housing, where he indicates the names of his future roommates.

It is possible to send your application for social housing online or to file it at a counter:


You must log in to the online request site:

Online social housing application

You can get help with your online file:

Who shall I contact


You must use the form cerfa n°14069:

Demand for social housing

To find out the list of counters where to place your file:

Social housing application window


you can also get help with your case.

The social landlord sign with each roommate of the dwelling a lease.

Each lease must specify:

  • The room of which each roommate has exclusive enjoyment,
  • The common areas available to all the roommates (kitchen, bathroom, living room, etc.).

Each roommate must have a surface of at least 9 m2 and with a volume not less than 20 m3 (common rooms not included).

Please note

the Decent or non-decent housing shall be assessed by taking into account all the elements, equipment and parts of the accommodation (and not the only part of the accommodation of which the tenant has exclusive use).

The type of social housing allocated (PLAI, PLUS, PLS ...) determines the amount of rent to be paid to the landlord.


co-location of social housing entitles solidarity rent reduction, but its maximum amount is 75% the maximum amount for a single person.

The social landlord may decide to be paid rental charges (water, repairs, ...) as a package. The amount of the plan and the frequency of its payment (example: at the same time as the rent payment) are indicated in the lease.

A roommate may have to pay a solidarity rent supplement (surcharge) when its resources exceed by 20% the corresponding resource ceiling corresponding to the type of its social housing (LIP, PLUS, PLS).


to know the type of accommodation (PLAI, PLUS, PLS), you have to ask the social landlord.