Selecting a language will automatically trigger the translation of the page content.

What should a foreigner do in the event of a change of marital status?

Verified 10 June 2021 - Legal and Administrative Information Directorate (Prime Minister)

In case of change of marital status (marriage, divorce, change of first name or name), you can request a duplicate of your residence card. This allows you to add or remove your spouse's name, or change your first and last name(s).

This is not mandatory.

You must go to the prefecture (or sub-prefecture) of your home to declare your change of civil status and request a duplicate of your card.


some prefectures only offer the procedure by telemetry. Find out more on your prefecture's website.

General case
Who shall I contact
Who shall I contact


it is not possible to do the paperwork in some sub-prefectures. Find out more on your prefecture's website.

You will need to provide the following documents:

  • Residence permit
  • Passport (pages on marital status, validity dates and entry stamps)
  • Birth certificate (full copy or extract with filiation)
  • If you got married: marriage act
  • If you have divorced: divorce judgement
  • If you have changed your name(s): change document
  • Proof of domicile less than 3 months old
  • 3 photos
  • Proof of payment of the fee and/or stamp duty (requested upon delivery of the card)

You must pay €25 by tax stamps.