Selecting a language will automatically trigger the translation of the page content.

Is a self-employed person entitled to unemployment insurance?

Verified 01 avril 2021 - Directorate of Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister), Ministry of Labour

You are self-employed (including self-employed) and you cease your activity. You can qualify for unemployment insurance if you meet all of the following 5 conditions:

  • You must have been engaged in a non-employee activity without interruption for at least 2 years in a single company
  • Your activity must have ceased due to a judicial winding-up or reorganisation
  • You must actively search for a job, that is, be registered in Pôle emploi and make the necessary efforts to find one
  • Your income must be at least €10 000 per year for the 2 years preceding cessation
  • You must have personal resources less than the amount of the RSA, less than €565.34 per month for a single person. This is the sum of your other potential income and allowances.

Self-employed persons eligible for unemployment benefit are:

  • Self-employed worker who is not a member of agricultural professions (examples: ski instructor, room rental, collaborators or associates)
  • Self-employed agricultural workers (examples: cultivation, livestock, agricultural or forestry)
  • Some insurance agents and business managers (examples: manager SARL, Chairman SAS)
  • Author (examples: author of literary, dramatic and musical works)

The activities concerned are listed by Pôle emploi.

If you meet all of these conditions, you can receive a €800 per month for 182 days (approximately 6 months) from the date of registration in Pôle emploi.

This registration must take place within 12 months from the date of the judicial winding-up or the legal remedy which led to the end of the activity.

  Please note : the income of your business is equal to your CA (turnover) minus your tax allowance. The amount abatement tax differs depending on your activity: commercial71%), handcrafted (50%) or liberal (34%).

You can deduct contributions made from your taxable income.

This deduction shall not exceed 1,875% of the taxable benefit up to €329,088 per year.

If you are in one of these 5 situations, you can voluntarily subscribe to a job loss insurance (or unemployment insurance) contract with a private insurance:

  • or in the form of a collective insurance contract open to members who have joined an association,
  • or in the form of an individual insurance contract.