Is an unemployed person reimbursed for health costs in the event of illness?
Verified 09 April 2021 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)
Yes, if you are unemployed, you continue to be entitled to reimbursement of your health expenses in case of illness. Because of the universal health protection (Puma)However, your health costs are reimbursed even if you are not working. This requires a stable residence in France.
You are a stable resident of France if you are in either one of these situations:
- You have your permanent home in France. The household is the place where you normally live, that is to say, the place of your habitual residence, provided that this residence in France is of a permanent nature.
- The location of your main stay is located in France. This is the case if you stay in France for more than 6 months (or 180 days) in the year concerned.
If you are a foreigner, you must also be in a regular situation with regard to the legislation on the residence of foreigners in France.
- Social Security Code: Articles L160-1 to L160-7Beneficiaries of health costs
- Reimbursement of care by Social SecurityService-Public.fr
- Health Insurance SiteNational Health Insurance Fund (Cnam)
- You're unemployedNational Health Insurance Fund (Cnam)
- Universal Health Protection (Puma)National Health Insurance Fund (Cnam)