Incomplete, incomplete and partial public officials: what are the differences?

Verified 14 December 2023 - Legal and Administrative Information Directorate (Prime Minister)

As a public official, you can work full-time or non-full-time (or incomplete) and work full-time or part-time. We're going through these concepts.

Full-time or non-full-time employment

A full-time job is a job in which the working time corresponds to the legal working time, i.e. 35 hours per week (or 1 607 hours per year).

A non-full-time (or incomplete) job is a job created for a working time shorter than the legal working time.

Non-full-time employment in the territorial and hospital public service (FPT and FPH) and incomplete employment in the state public service (EPF).

Unlike part-time work, it is not therefore the staff member who chooses non-full-time work; it is a characteristic of the job that is imposed on the staff member.

The working hours of a non-full or incomplete job may be changed only by the administration.

Please note

In some administrations, the working time in effect full-time may be less than 35 hours per week.

Depending on the public service, non-full-time jobs may be filled by public servants or contractors.

Répondez aux questions successives et les réponses s’afficheront automatiquement

State Civil Service (EPF)

When the working time is less than or equal to 24 hours 30 per week, incomplete time employment is obligatorily occupied by a contractor.

The contract may be for a fixed or indefinite period.

Territorial (FPT)

A non-full-time job may be held by a official or contractorregardless of the length of time the job is held.

Hospital (FPH)

Non-full-time employment with a working time of less than half-time may be occupied only by a contractor.

Non-full-time jobs including working hours between 17.30 and 24.30 may be created for staff under body following:

  • Hospital midwives
  • Psychologists
  • Dietitians
  • Physical therapists
  • Speech-Language Pathologists
  • Orthoptists
  • Pedicures-podologists
  • Occupational therapists
  • Psychomotricians

These non-full-time jobs can be filled by officials or contractors.

Full-time or part-time work

A full-time public official is the one who works 35 hours per week or who works for the full duration of his non-full or incomplete employment.

The part-time staff member shall be the one who chooses to reduce his working hours.

Part-time work shall be carried out at the request of the staff member.

Depending on the reason for which it is requested, part-time shall be granted if service requirements allow it, that is upon authorization, or by right, i.e. it cannot be refused by the administration.

Part time is expressed as a percentage of full time (for example, 80%).

Where it is subject to operational requirements, part-time work may be granted to 50%60%70%80% or 90% full-time.

If it is lawful, it may be granted to 50%, 60%, 70%, 80% full-time.

A non-full-time territorial or hospital staff member may benefit from part-time work only in cases where it is granted by right (for example, to raise a child). A part-time public servant cannot benefit from part-time work.