In the event of the death of a jobseeker, who can receive the death benefit?

Verified 02 February 2024 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)

A death grant may be paid to a person who lived as a couple with the deceased jobseeker. The deceased jobseeker had to be in the process of being compensated or in a period of deferred compensation or waiting time. We present the regulations to you.

The person who was living in a relationship with the deceased job seeker must contact by post the France Travail agency (formerly Pôle emploi) on which the jobseeker depended.

The mail must contain all of the following:

  • Deceased job seeker's file number
  • Copy of the death certificate
  • Written request for payment of death benefit
  • Document proving the status of spouse (marriage certificate, Civil partnership contract, invoice or proof of common life)
Who shall I contact

The request must be made within a period of 2 years from the date of death.

It is equal to 120 times the daily amount of the allowance which the deceased was or would have been entitled to (i.e. approximately 4 months unemployment benefits).

If there are any descendants, an increase must be added for each dependent child.

This amount is worth 45 times the gross daily amount (i.e. approximately a month and a half unemployment benefits).

Example :

A deceased jobseeker received a daily allowance of €30 and had 2 dependent children. The amount paid to the person with whom he was living as a couple will be calculated as follows: 30 x 120 + 30 x (45 x 2) = €6,300.

The amount shall be paid in 1 time only.

The death benefit is death capital and does not constitute replacement income. It is therefore neither taxable nor subject to CSG: titleContent or to the CRDS: titleContent.

Who can help me?

Find who can answer your questions in your region