What is the Republican Integration Contract (CIR)?
Verified 25 June 2021 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)
The Republican Integration Contract (CIR) is concluded between France and any non-European foreigner admitted to France who wishes to settle in France on a lasting basis, subject to exceptions. The signatory undertakes to follow training courses to promote its inclusion in the French business. Civic education is compulsory. Language training can be requested depending on your level of French.
The Republican Integration Contract (CIR) is between the French state and you. By signing it, you undertake to respect the principles and values of the French business and the Republic and to follow with seriousness and assiduity the training courses that are requested of you.
You are concerned if you have the right to stay in France and want to settle there for a long time.
You are dispensed if you are in any of the following situations:
- You have been studying at a French secondary school for at least 3 school years
- You have been studying at a higher level in France for at least 1 academic year
this procedure does not concern a foreigner who is a national of European countrynor the members of his family living in France with him.
You are summoned by the territorial directorate of theOfii: titleContent on which your home depends.
The interview with an Ofii auditor allows you to inform yourself and to direct you to the adapted proximity services that can meet your situation and your needs.
You are also tested for proficiency in French (written and oral) to assess your proficiency level and whether you need to take language training.
The civic education is obligatory and takes place over 4 days spread over a period of about 4 months.
The training allows you to take ownership of the values of the Republic and the rules of life of the French business.
At the end of this training, a personal certificate will be given to you by the training organization.
The Office shall be informed of the submission of this certificate.
The language training is prescribed if you have obtained results below level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) in the French language proficiency test. It is mentioned in the CIR and you undertake to follow it. At the end of the training, the training organization will provide you with an attestation of attendance, indicating the number of hours worked and the results obtained on the evaluation tests.
You are dispensed language training if you are in one of the following situations:
- You scored at or above the CEFR A1 level on the French test
- You justify mastering this level by producing diplomas or tests
The Ofii will then provide you with a certificate of language training dispensation. It is mentioned in the CIR.
The CIR is presented to you with its translation into a language you understand.
At the end of the interview, you must sign the contract (and your legal representative if you are a minor). You agree to participate in the training provided for in the contract.
The contract is also signed, on behalf of the French State, by the Prefect.
The CIR is concluded for a period of 1 year.
The contract is respected if the following 2 conditions are met:
- You have followed the training prescribed there with diligence and seriousness
- You have not expressed any rejection of the core values of the French business and the Republic
The contract may be extended for a maximum of 1 year by the Prefect for a recognized legitimate reason and on a proposal from the Ofii if the prescribed and followed civic and linguistic training courses are in progress at the end of the contract and you are legally staying.
The reason and duration of the extension shall be stated in the contract.
Within 3 months of the end of the training, Ofii will call you to an end-of-contract interview to review the training you have taken.
The Ofii agent provides you with new information on the offer of local services that can facilitate the continuation of your integration journey.
They can refer you to Pôle emploi or a local mission for an in-depth interview in vocational guidance and support to promote your professional integration.
you can ask to be exempted from counseling and the accompanying counseling.
The prefect may terminate the contract on the basis of a proposal from the Office where the latter finds that you are in one of the following situations:
- You are not participating in prescribed training or no longer participating in prescribed training and you have no legitimate reason
- You are not fulfilling the commitments made under the CIR.
The prefect must inform you of his intention to terminate the contract. It shall state the reasons for the intended termination and specify the consequences for the issue of the multi-annual residence card.
Who can help me?
Find who can answer your questions in your region
- Code of entry and residence of foreigners and right of asylum: Articles L413-1 to L413-6Provisions on integration into the French business
- Code of entry and residence of foreigners and right of asylum: Articles R413-2 to R413-7Provisions on integration into the French business
- Education Code: Articles D338-23 to D338-32Initial French-language diploma
- Order of 1 July 2016 on the civic and linguistic training prescribed to the foreigners signatory to the Republican integration contractCivic and linguistic training
- The Republican Integration ContractFrench Office for Immigration and Integration (Ofii)
- Common European Framework of Reference for Languages - Council of EuropeCouncil of Europe