Can you travel with an ID card over 10 years old?
Verified 14 June 2022 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)
In 2014, the validity period of an identity card for an adult increased from 10 to 15 years.
Concretely, your identity card is automatically extended and remains valid for an additional 5 years if you complete the following 2 conditions :
- You were major at the time of issue
- The map was still valid on 1er january 2014
We present the rules according to the year of issuance of the identity card:
To travel abroad, you need to check on the site Travel advice (Entry/Stay section) what is the identity document required by the country you are traveling to.
If you have a valid passport, it is preferable to use it.
If you do not have a passport, and you are traveling to a country that accepts the identity card, you can request its early renewal by producing a proof of upcoming trip.
If the country accepts that the date on your card does not correspond to its actual expiry date, you can submit a translated factsheet to foreign authorities.
- Identity documents required to travel by airService-Public.fr
- Countries that accept or refuse an identity card older than 10 yearsMinistry for Europe and Foreign Affairs
- Fact sheets (by country) - Duration of validity of the identity cardMinistry of the Interior
- Travel adviceMinistry for Europe and Foreign Affairs