What is home-based educational assistance for families in difficulty?

Verified 18 February 2022 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)

This assistance allows some families, as part of child protection, to put in place measures to improve parent/child relations. It is granted, under certain conditions, in particular to the father or mother when the health, safety, maintenance or upbringing of their child so requires. This aid may take several forms (support by a technician, material or educational support, exceptionally financial aid).

This aid is decided by the department's services and implemented by the child welfare agency (ASE).

The parent who benefits from it shall retain parental authority, i.e. the exercise of the rights and duties of parents vis-à-vis their child(ren).

Home help may be given to the following:

  • Mother, father who encounters difficulties in their relationship with their child(ren)
  • A person who is in charge of a child
  • Pregnant woman facing medical or social and financial difficulties, and whose health or that of her child requires it
  • Emancipated minor or adult under the age of 21 facing social difficulties

The aid shall be implemented on request or with the agreement of the persons concerned.

To receive it, you must contact the child welfare department (Ase) of your department.

Who shall I contact


you can also ask the social worker of the school, the leisure center, an information point of the departmental council or in the town hall,...

Who shall I contact

The actions that can be implemented (together or separately), as part of the home help, are as follows:

  • Assistance from a social and family intervention technician (TISF), who must accompany the family encountering educational and social difficulties
  • Help of a housekeeper
  • Support in social and family economy (AESF). This is done by a professional trained in the social and family economy to understand, with the family, the nature of the financial difficulties encountered. It makes it possible to organize the management of the budget.
  • Payment of exceptional financial assistance or monthly allowances, whether definitively or subject to repayment
  • Intervention of an educational action service. The Home Education Action (AED) provides material and educational support to the family. It is aimed at parents who are facing major difficulties (situations of educational deprivation, relationship difficulties, living conditions compromising the health of the child...).

The aid is granted by the department's departments.

It is set up for a maximum of 1 year. But it can be renewed if necessary.

Its duration depends on the needs of the family. It is therefore adapted accordingly and may be proposed for several consecutive years.

The periodicity of the visits is determined with the service that sets up the accompaniment.

Practical conditions for care are laid down by the ESA Sector Manager.

The costs of intervention by a social and family intervention technician (TISF) or a domestic helper shall, at the request of the beneficiary, be borne (in whole or in part) by the ESA service.

However, these costs should not be borne by a social security body or other service.


the beneficiary may be required to pay a contribution, depending on his financial situation.