How to get a second family record book in case of loss, theft or damage?

Verified 09 January 2023 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)

You have lost your family booklet or has been stolen or damaged and you want to know if you can get another booklet and how to proceed? We guide you in your approach.

If you are the parents, you can request a second family booklet.


In the event of the death of one or both parents, minor children will not be able to obtain a second booklet. However, if you are a tutor, you may be able to obtain a second booklet with the agreement of the public prosecutor.

In France

You can request a copy of the family booklet from the town hall of your home. In this case, we are talking about duplicate from the booklet.

Who shall I contact

You must make the request to the embassy or at consulate territorially competent.

If you are the parents, to obtain a copy of your family record book, you must provide the following documents:

  • Proof of your identity
  • Proof of domicile (title of ownership, notice of taxation or certificate of non-taxation, receipt of rent, housing insurance, gas, electricity or telephone bill)
  • Information concerning the documents of the booklet to be reconstituted (surname, forenames, date and place of birth of each person + date and place of marriage if you are married)


in case of loss or theft, the city hall can request a receipt of declaration of loss or theft from the police station or gendarmerie brigade.

Who shall I contact
Who shall I contact

The deadline varies depending on the number of documents to be entered in the booklet.

You can remove the second booklet upon presentation of an identity document at the local authority of the applicant's place of residence.

Yes, the second family booklet is free.


from 3e booklet, the issue can be paid for (if a decision of the city council so provides).

Who can help me?

Find who can answer your questions in your region