Can a European student work in France?

Verified 09 September 2022 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)

Yes, if you are a student European, you can work as an employed person during your studies. You do not have to have a residence permit or work authorization.

You must work as an ancillary job (i.e. in addition to your studies).

You can work a maximum of 964 hours per year, either 60% the total legal annual working time.

If you exceed this quota, you are no longer recognized as a student, you change the category of reason for your stay. You will then report to the category of workers. You will have to submit your application for a residence card of an EU/EEA/Swiss citizen worker to the prefecture (or sub-prefecture) of your residence before the end of your student residence permit. Find out more on your prefecture's website.

Who shall I contact
Who shall I contact


it is not possible to carry out the procedures in some sub-prefectures. Find out more on your prefecture's website.