Selecting a language will automatically trigger the translation of the page content.

How do I use a French civil registration certificate in Europe?

Verified 21 October 2022 - Directorate of Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister), Ministry of Justice

To use a French civil status certificate within the European Union, you do not need to request authentication of the deed: you do not have to obtain certification of the european country where you reside.

However, the document of civil status must be written in the language of the country.

To help you get a translation of your document, at no extra cost, and to avoid the need to use a certified translator, type forms multilingual have been set up by the European Commission.


These forms are intended only for authorised national authorities. For a birth certificate, you will have to go to the town hall that issued the birth certificate.

Therefore, when you apply, this form, once completed by the town hall, must be attached to your French civil status certificate.


you can view the e-justice site for further information on the languages of use of each EU country.

For other documents or if the document is intended for another country (outside the EU), the procedure varies according to their agreements: legalisation, apostils.

Who can help me?

Find who can answer your questions in your region