This page has been automatically translated. Please refer to the page in French if needed.
Covid-19: lengthening the length of a drug-induced abortion
During the health emergency period, a medicated abortion in remote consultation at home is possible until the end of the 7th week of pregnancy (9 weeks after the date of the last menstrual period). The pharmacy issues the necessary medicines without charge and anonymously.
Any pregnant woman, including a minor, who does not wish to continue a pregnancy may request an interruption. The practice of abortion is regulated and several steps must be followed before and after the procedure.
There are 2 methods of abortion:
- the compulsory instrumental (surgical) abortion in a health institution (hospital or clinic),
- and medicated abortion in a health facility (hospital or clinic), town hall, planning center or health center.
The abortion technique used depends on:
- of your choice,
- and the end of your pregnancy.
This choice can be made with the help of the doctor during the 1re or 2e medical consultation.
Not all public or private health facilities practice the 2 abortion techniques, so it is important to find out as soon as possible.
FYI : the offense of obstructing abortion is punishable by 2 years' imprisonment and €30,000 fine.
There is no age requirement to meet.
If you are a minor, you can choose to seek the consent of your parents or legal representative and thus be accompanied in your process of abortion.
However, if you wish to keep it secret, abortion is performed at your request only. In this case, you will have to be accompanied in your step by a major of your choice.
Please note : if you are a minor and you have the consent of your parents, you have their social security coverage. Otherwise, abortion is supported at 100% without advance payment.
Timing depends on the method chosen:
- Surgical abortion can be performed until the end of the 12e week of pregnancy, i.e. 14 weeks after the beginning of the last period,
- Drug abortion is performed until the end of the 5e week of pregnancy, i.e. not more than 7 weeks after the beginning of the last period. In a health institution, this period may be extended up to 7 weeks of pregnancy (i.e. 9 weeks after the date of the last menstrual period).
Two medical consultations are required before an abortion is performed.
For 1re consultation, you can contact a doctor or a midwife of your choice.
Who shall I contact
During this consultation,
- you make your request for an abortion,
- you receive oral information and a guide on abortion,
- the doctor or midwife offers you a psycho-social interview (this is compulsory if you are a minor).
Such consultation shall be accompanied by a certificate of medical consultation.
During the 2e consultation
- you receive the 2e medical consultation certificate,
- you confirm your abortion request in writing to your doctor or midwife.
The surgical technique consists of an aspiration of the egg, preceded by a dilatation of the cervix. The opening of the cervix can be facilitated by the administration of a drug.
The procedure can be performed under local or general anesthesia. With the help of the doctor, you choose the method of anesthesia best suited to your situation.
Hospitalization usually lasts a few hours, but the procedure itself lasts about ten minutes.
Psycho-social consultation is systematically proposed after the abortion. It allows you to talk about your situation if you feel the need.
Who shall I contact
The medication technique consists of taking 2 medications (the 1to terminating pregnancy and the 2nd to cause the egg to be expelled).
1to medication is taken in the presence of the doctor or midwife during a 1re consultation. 2nd is taken from 36 to 48 hours later in consultation or at your home.
This method therefore does not require anesthesia or surgery.
IVG is supported at 100% under a flat-rate contract with total exemption in advance of costs for:
- unemancipated minor girls without parental consent,
- women beneficiaries of the complementary health solidarity (SSC),
- women beneficiaries of State medical aid (MEA).
The cost of a surgical abortion is reimbursed by the Health Insurance 100% on the basis of a variable flat rate of €463.25 to €664.05 depending on the health institution (hospital or clinic), the type of anesthesia (local or general) and the duration of the hospitalization.
Drug IVG in a health facility
The cost of a medical abortion in a health facility (hospital, clinic) is reimbursed by the Health Insurance 100% on the basis of a flat rate fixed at €282.91..
IVG medical doctor in city medicine
The cost of a medicated abortion in town (medical practice, health center, family planning and education center) is reimbursed by the Health Insurance 100%, with rates fixed by order at each stage. The doctor who performs the whole of an abortion charges each of his steps, for a lump sum payment that represents between €187.92 and €193.16..
A control visit must take place between the 14the and 21e day after surgery or medication. It ensures that there are no complications.
During the check-up, the doctor or midwife checks that you have a contraceptive method adapted to your situation. The doctor or midwife offers to have recourse, after the abortion, to a psycho-social interview, if you wish.