Retired living abroad: When do you need to present a certificate of life?

Verified 18 December 2023 - Legal and Administrative Information Directorate (Prime Minister)

If you are retired and live abroad, your french pension funds may ask you, every year, to provide a certificate of life, to continue to pay your retirement pensions.

This is also the case if you live overseas in one of the following territories:

  • Wallis and Futuna
  • New Caledonia

You must respond to it every year, regardless of your nationality, by having it completed by the competent local authority in your country of residence.

The certificate of life is transmitted to you via the Internet in your pension account, section My Retirement Payments, on the Retirement Info site.

Life certificate of the retiree residing abroad

One certificate is enough for all your pension funds.

Once completed by the local competent authority of the country where you live, you can return the certificate of life via the internet after scanning or photographing it.

If you don't have internet access, the life certificate can also be sent to you by post.

You can return the completed form to the Overseas Retirement Processing Center.

Who shall I contact


The certificate of life must be returned within one month from the day you receive the email notification that your certificate is available in your personal space.

If you do not meet this deadline, your pension payments may be suspended.