How can I insure a tractor or self-propelled agricultural machine?
Verified 24 March 2020 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)
The tractor or agricultural self-propelled machinery must be insured for the civil liability..
The trailer coupled to these units is subject to the same obligation and must also be insured, either in the same contract or in a specific contract. Any modifications to the trailer must also be reported to the insurance company.
In certain circumstances, it may be useful to subscribe additional guarantees.. Examples:
- Guarantee"theft and fire"
- Guarantee"legal protection"
- Guarantee machine breakwhich covers accidental damage or destruction of equipment in the operating premises (wear and tear or damage covered by the manufacturer's warranty are excluded).
If the tractor carries passengers, certain safety rules must be observed, such as the prohibition on carrying more passengers than the number of seats provided for by the manufacturer. In the event of non-compliance with these rules, and in the event of an accident, the insurer will compensate the victims, but it will turn against the person responsible for the accident.
If you use a tractor and its trailer for a party or a hunt, you must ask your insurer for an extension of warranty. This situation is generally not foreseen in the usual guaranteed cases.
- Insurance Code: Articles L211-1 to L211-2Subject Persons
- Insurance Code: Article A211-3Exclusions of guarantee