Lease: can you send your notice (leave) by email?
Verified 11 August 2020 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)
No, notice (or leave) sent by simple mail (email) is not valid.
Notice (leave) is valid only if a mail is delivered:
- recommended with acknowledgement
- served by act of bailiff
- be handed over in person against unloading
A leave sent by electronic means (e-mail) is therefore not valid, even if it is accepted by return mail by its recipient (tenant or owner).
one online registered letter published by La Poste has no value unless the addressee declares in advance to La Poste that he accepts this method of sending.
- Act No. 89-462 of 6 July 1989 on rental reports: Article 15
- Post and Electronic Communications Code: Articles L100 to L103Electronic Recommended Submission: principles
- Notice and formalities of the leave given by the owner (lessor)Service-Public.fr
- Notice and formalities of the leave given by the tenantService-Public.fr