Income Tax - Dependent Disabled
Verified 17 April 2023 - Legal and Administrative Information Directorate (Prime Minister)
You are hosting a disabled person and you want to show it on your tax return? You can register him as a dependant, under certain conditions. You get a increase in your share of family quotient for income tax.
A person can be considered as a dependant if he or she meets the following 3 conditions:
- She is not your spouse or dependent child
- She has the mobility inclusion card marked "invalidity"
- She lives in your house
If you are a married couple, each spouse must have the card.
No resource conditions are required.
You don't need to be related to the disabled person you're collecting.
You can choose not to count the disabled person who lives in your home as a dependant. In this case, you do not have a family quotient increase.
But if it's a ascendant who has the mobility inclusion card marked "invalidity", you can then to deduct maintenance under conditions.
Your family quotient is increased if a disabled person is attached to your household.
In general, the increase is 1 share per dependent who has the mobility card inclusion marked invalidity.
If you are married and have a dependent disabled person, your family quotient is 3 parts:
- 2 for your couple
- 1 half share for your dependant
- 1 half-share, taking into account his disability
The maximum benefit for the additional half-shares shall be limited to the following amounts:
- €1,678 for the half-share granted for the dependent
- €3,351 for the half-share awarded for his invalidity
You cannot, for the same person, benefit from both the increase in the number of shares and the deduction of hospitality expenses for persons over 75 years of age.
If your family situation changed in 2022, you must complete or amend the pre-filled tax return.
You can choose the situation that is most advantageous for you:
- Your situation on 1er January of the taxation year
- Your situation as of December 31 of the tax year
On your annual return, you have to add to your own income the income of the disabled dependent.
Tax returns via Internet is required if your principal residence is equipped with internet access and you are able to file your return online.
The 2022 Online Income Tax Return starts april 13, 2023.
The deadline varies depending on whether you are filing on paper or online.
You can use the following simulator to find out your date:
Know the deadline for filing your tax return
2023 Online Income Tax Return 2022
Who can help me?
Find who can answer your questions in your region
For general informationTax Information Service
0809 401 401
Monday to Friday from 8:30 am to 7 pm, excluding public holidays.
Free service + call price
To contact the local service managing your folderDepartment in charge of taxes (treasury, tax department...)
- General Tax Code: Articles 193 to 199Person with a disability card who lives under your roof (Article 196aa)
- Bofip-Taxes n°BOI-IR-LIQ-10-10 relating to the taking into account of family circumstances and expenses for income tax purposes
- Income Tax Return (Paper)
- 2023 Online Income Tax Return 2022
- Taxes: access your Special Space
- 2023 Simulator: 2022 Income Tax
- Income Tax - Family Quotient of a Married or Past CoupleService-Public.fr
- Income Tax - Family Quotient of a Single PersonService-Public.fr
- Income Tax - Family Quotient of a Common-Law PartnerService-Public.fr
- Income Tax - Annual Income Tax ReturnService-Public.fr
- Income Tax - Reporting a Change in Family StatusService-Public.fr
- Other dependantsMinistry of Finance
- 2023 Practice Brochure - 2022 Income Tax ReturnMinistry of Finance