Can a married woman keep her last name ("maiden name")?
Verified 01 July 2022 - Legal and Administrative Information Directorate (Prime Minister)
Yes, by getting married, a woman keeps her family name.
She didn't no steps to take.
However, marriage allows each spouse use the other spouse's name or a double name : this is a usage name.
This approach voluntary.
In any case, each spouse keep the name on his birth certificate (last name).
This name will always remain on his papers.
- Act No. 85-1372 of 23 December 1985 on the equality of spouses and parents: Article 43
- Civil Code: Articles 212 to 226Use of spouse's name as the name of use (Article 225(1))
- Civil Code: Articles 263 to 265-2In case of divorce (Article 264)
- Order of 1 June 2006 fixing the model family register
- Ministerial Response of December 1, 2020 on the choice by a married woman of the name used in administrative letters and documents
- Change of marital statusService-Public.fr
- Usage name: use of wife’s or husband’s nameService-Public.fr
- Birth certificate: request for full copy or extractService-Public.fr