Voluntary placement of a child by its parents

Verified 18 September 2023 - Legal and Administrative Information Directorate (Prime Minister)

You have a child, you are having difficulties (for example financial) or a health problem to raise your child and you want to place it out of your family home, temporarily or for a prolonged period?

We present the information you need to know and the steps to follow.

You can request placement of your child only in one of the following situations:

  • Remoteness
  • Disease
  • Hospitalization
  • Prison
  • Difficulties with your child (for example, raising him or her satisfactorily, managing a budget).

If you want to confide your child, you need to get closer to the CCAS: titleContent (at your town hall) or contact directly the services of the department (child welfare - Ase) to find with them the most suitable alternative for your child.

You must write a letter and attach all the documents justifying your family situation.

Who shall I contact

The decision of the department's departments shall be taken taking into account the following factors:

  • Your child's opinion and interest
  • Your opinion on where and how it is placed

Your child is then placed:

  • Either in host family paid
  • Or in a specialized establishment
  • Or at the home of a third party volunteer, including persons already known to him


with the agreement of the child's primary educator, your child may, if he or she wishes, appoint a trusted person from among his or her entourage. This person will be able to accompany him in his efforts and help him prepare his autonomy.

Department departments write a document called Children's Project (EPP).

This document contains information on:

  • Nature and objectives of the interventions carried out (for you, your child and his/her entourage)
  • Implementation time-frame
  • Duration
  • Determining the role of stakeholders towards your child and yours
  • Identification of your child's referent within the Asia

The EPP takes into account personal relationships between siblings to avoid separations. However, if the best interests of the child so require, an alternative solution will be considered.

The development of the EPP includes a medical and psychological assessment of your child to determine their care needs. These must be incorporated into the document.

The EPP is given to you and your child.

In principle, you retain your rights and duties vis-à-vis your child. We're talking of parental authority.

The foster family, institution or third party volunteer to whom your child has been entrusted performs only the acts relating to his/her supervision and upbringing.

They need your consent, for example, to have your child see a doctor, have an operation, go on an outing or go on a school trip.

However, if you are more in need of assistance or support in the education and upbringing of your child, you can ask the Family Court (Jaf) to transfer your rights and duties towards your child to another person. This may be a family member or a specialized agency (child welfare department).

Thus, for delegate all or part of the exercise of your parental authority, you must get closer to the court of the child's domicile.

Who shall I contact

Your child is given up for a maximum of1 year.

However, if necessary, this period may be renewed.

Yeah. Yeah. The ESA service shall verify every year if you are still unable to provide for your child's education and training.

If this is the case, you must again give your consent for your child's placement to be renewed.

Please note

one year before the child reaches the age of majority, an interview is carried out to take stock of the child's journey and to consider the conditions for support towards independence.

Who can help me?

Find who can answer your questions in your region