Immobilization of a vehicle

Verified 08 August 2022 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)

Law enforcement has immobilized your vehicle and you're wondering how to get it back? This page shows you the rules for immobilizing the vehicle.

The infringements the following may cause your vehicle to come to a standstill:

  • Traffic violation resulting in a confiscation of the vehicle: offenses related to alcohol, speed, driving without a license...
  • Offense entailing vehicle impoundment
  • Non-compliance with traffic rules: safety distance in a tunnel, obstruction to traffic...
  • Non-compliance with technical inspection rules
  • Non-conformity of registration plates
  • Non-conformity of the condition of the vehicle: abnormally noisy or polluting, or presenting a danger to users.
  • Non-conformity of vehicle equipment: insufficiently transparent front windshield or side windows (unless there is a medical reason), absence or deterioration of speed recording equipment.
  • Refusal to comply
  • Putting into service or keeping in service a vehicle or trailer without it having been the subject of a reception

When law enforcement decides to stop your vehicle, you must keep it in place or near while respecting the parking rules.

Law enforcement gives you a fixed asset card or a provisional movement record carte grise in exchange for the vehicle's Certificate of Registration (C of R).

If you are absent or refuse to move your vehicle, it can be immobilized by mechanical means.

The immobilization of a vehicle may be a prior to impoundment.

You must prove that the offense which has caused the vehicle to be immobilized has ceased.

You should contact the authority indicated on the immobilization certificate.

If the offense committed concerns the non-conformity of registration plates, you must register the vehicle.

Carte grise Ask law enforcement for a copy of the procedure.

Obstructing the immobilization of your vehicle is punishable by up to 3 months in prison and a fine of up to €3,750.

You also lose 6 points on your driving license.

You may also additional penalties following:

  • Suspension of the license for a period of up to 3 years (accommodation possible outside the professional activity)
  • Sentence of work of general interest
  • Sentence of fine days