Is the use of a notary obligatory in the context of an estate?
Verified 12 April 2022 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)
You must call a notary if you are in one of the following cases:
- The estate comprises a real estate. In this case, you must have established proof of ownership of immovable property.
- The amount of the estate is equal to or greater than €5,000. In this case, you must have established the act of notoriety proving you're an heir.
- There is a will or a gift between spouses.
Who shall I contact
Who can help me?
Find who can answer your questions in your region
- Civil Code: Articles 730 to 730-5Act of notoriety
- Civil Code: Articles 931 to 952Notarial donation (Article 931)
- Civil Code: Articles 1003 to 1009Deposit with a notary of the will before its execution
- Decree No. 55-22 of 4 January 1955 on the reform of land advertisingRole of notaries in property advertising