Family book: marriage surrender
Verified 18 October 2019 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)
A family booklet is given to the spouses on the occasion of their marriage.
The family booklet submitted at the time of the marriage contains the following elements:
- Extract from the marriage certificate of the spouses
- Information on family law: marriage, filiation, adoption, parental authority, etc.
There are no special requests to make.
At the end of the ceremony, the family booklet is delivered automatically to the spouses by the civil registration officer of the town hall of the marriage.
if the spouses have common children at the time of the marriage, the family register provided to the birth of the first child is completed by their marriage certificate.
The first family booklet is free. Depending on the case and the town halls, duplicates can be paid.
- Circular of 30 June 2006 on the reform of filiation and the family register (PDF - 2.1 KB)
- Decree No. 74-449 of 15 May 1974 on the family register and information for future spouses on family law
- Circular of 19 June 2009 on the civil status of children who died before the declaration of birth, who were stillborn or born without life and the care of bodies (PDF - 1.1 MB)
- Order of 1 June 2006 laying down the model family register
- Decree No. 2002-1556 of 23 December 2002 (annex)Information on family law
- Circular of 23 July 2014 on civil registration (PDF - 249.4 KB)
- New family booklet (in case of loss, theft or destruction)Service-Public.fr
- Request for a second family record in case of separationService-Public.fr