How do I choose or change the supplier of electricity or gas?
Verified 11 February 2022 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)
There are several suppliers of electricity and gas in the energy market.
You can use an online service to locate a supplier in your municipality:
Search for an electricity and/or gas supplier
The change of supplier is free.
you can switch electricity or gas suppliers as many times as you like. You can also go back to your old supplier. There is no minimum commitment period.
You can choose 2 different suppliers, one for electricity, the other for gas or for 1 single supplier for electricity and gas.
To make your choice, you can use a comparison of offers:
Electricity and gas supply comparator
By changing supplier, you don't change the meter electricity or gas.
Once the contract is concluded with the new supplier, you don't have to do anything else. Termination of your old contract is automatic.
Until the date of change, your current supplier continues to supply you with energy.
in the event of a dispute over the performance of your contract, you must make a complaint with acknowledgement of receipt to your supplier's customer service department. If the dispute persists, you can call on the national energy ombudsman. This remedy is free.
- Energy Code: Articles L331-1 to L331-4Choice of electricity supplier
- Energy Code: Articles L441-1 to L441-5Choice of gas supplier
- Ministerial Response of March 3, 2020 on switching energy suppliers
- Search for an electricity and/or gas supplier
- Electricity and gas supply comparator
- Calculate the evolution of its gas bill
- Calculate your electricity bill
- Use the National Energy Ombudsman online
- Aid for payment of bills: water, telephone, electricity, gasService-Public.fr
- Information site for electricity and gas consumersNational Energy Ombudsman
- End of regulated natural gas tariffsNational Institute of Consumer Affairs (INC)