Le lien vers cette page a été envoyé avec succès aux destinataires.
Identity Card / Passport: how to prove your french citizenship?
Verified 02 March 2021 - Legal and Administrative Information Directorate (Prime Minister)
You can obtain a national identity card or a passport provided you are a French national. There are several types of documents that allow you to prove your nationality.
What applies to you ?
Veuillez patienter pendant le chargement de la page
One of the following documents is sufficient to prove your nationality.
- ID valid or expired for less than 5 years
- Passport secure (electronic or biometric) valid or expired for less than 5 years
If you were born in France
At least one of your parents was born in France
You were born in France and at least one of your parents? You can provide a birth certificate of less than 3 months to prove your French nationality.
Your French nationality is on your birth certificate (in marginal note)
Your French nationality is listed as a marginal note to your birth certificate? You can provide a birth certificate of less than 3 months to prove your French nationality.
If you were born in foreigner
If you do not have a recent identity document, proof of French nationality can be provided by presenting a birth certificate (full copy or extract with filiation) of less than 3 months.
This act of civil status can establish your French nationality if you are in one of the following cases:
- The birth certificate (on secure paper) was issued by the Nantes Central Registry Office.
- The birth certificate (on plain paper) was issued by an embassy consular vital statistics officer.
Neither your identity document nor your birth certificate allow you to establish your nationality?
You can produce one of the following documents:
- Declaration of acquisition of French nationality in your name, duly registered or, failing that, a certificate of such declaration
- Amplification the decree of naturalisation or of reinstatement in French nationality or, failing that, a certificate stating the existence of that decree
- Certificate of French nationality (CNF)
If you can't produce any of these documents?
You can request to benefit from French state possession.
State possession is established if the public authorities consider you French for at least 10 years.
In order to prepare the list, at least 2 documents listed below must be provided:
- Military card or document attesting to the fulfilment of military obligations,
- Voter card for the French-only elections,
- Proof of membership in the French civil service (for French-only employment),
- Document certifying the exercise of an elected mandate reserved for the French only,
- Old (even expired) identity title.