How do I regularize an NSF check?

Verified 24 October 2022 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)

Your check was rejected by your bank due to a lack of funds in your account? You can regularize the situation as soon as your bank informs you of the incident. We explain how to do it.

Before rejecting the check, the bank sends you a registered letter with notice of receipt.

She asks you to put money in your bank account in a short time (usually within 7 days).

The letter shall indicate the number, the amount of the check in question and the balance of the account on the date of its submission by the beneficiary.

You then have all the information to evaluate the amount of the payment to be made to regularize the situation.


rejecting a check from your bank for lack of sufficient funds is a payment incident. You will have to pay a fee.

You can regularize the situation by paying the beneficiary directly by a other means of payment (e.g. cash). You can also do this by asking the payee to resubmit the check after you have frozen enough money in your account.


a check may not be presented more than 2 times.

Direct payment to the beneficiary

Once the payment is made, you must first collect the original check from the payee. Then present the check to your bank branch to prove payment of the amounts due.

If you cannot retrieve the check, you must to bring proceedings before the judge hearing applications for interim measures to have him establish that the account has been regularized.

Representation of the check after a sufficient amount has been frozen

You must send a letter to your bank in order to block any amount paid into your account until you reach the amount of the check. You must also send a copy of the mail to the recipient of the check.

The blocked amount becomes available 1 year after the block if it was not used to pay the check.

If the NSF check has not been cleared within the timeframe specified in the bank's warning letter, you may become banking ban.

Who can help me?

Find who can answer your questions in your region