Bafa certificate of competency for the duties of facilitator
Verified 12 September 2023 - Legal and Administrative Information Directorate (Prime Minister)
Do you want to be an animator in collective hostels for minors (summer camp, leisure center...)? The certificate of fitness for the functions of animator (Bafa) allows you to do so. You must be at least 16 years old. The Bafa is subject to paid theoretical and practical training. You can receive financial assistance. We present you with the information you need to know.
Bafa is a non-professional degree.
It allows you to mentor children and teenagers, on a non-professional basis and on an occasional basis.
The purpose of the training at Bafa is to prepare you to perform the following functions in particular:
- Ensure the physical and moral safety of minors and in particular raise their awareness of the risks related to addictive behavior or behavior, including sexual behavior
- Participate in the reception, communication and development of relations between the different actors
- Participate, within a team, in the implementation of a pedagogical project in coherence with the educational project
- Supervise and animate daily life and activities
- Supporting minors in the realization of their projects
It also aims to help you develop your skills, including the following:
- Build a quality relationship with members of the teaching team and minors and ensure that discrimination is prevented
- Conveying and sharing the values of the Republic (for example, secularism)
To take the training at Bafa, you must have at least 16 yrs on 1er day of the training session (general).
Administrative registration is authorized 3 months before.
You must register by accessing the Bafa registration online service.
You must click on your region of residence.
Remember to send a double-sided copy of your ID via your personal space.
this online service gives you access to the list of training organizations (national and regional) to which you can apply.
To obtain the Bafa diploma, you must take 2 theoretical training sessions and 1 practical training course, which are held in the following order:
- Session of general training, which allows you to learn the basics of animation functions (minimum 8 days)
- Practical training in a holiday stay, a scouting welcome or a leisure welcome that allows you to implement the acquis and experiment (14 days minimum)
- Session ofdeepening (6 days minimum) or qualification (8 days minimum) which allows you to deepen, complete, analyze your learning and training needs
The deepening or qualification session can take place abroad.
Total duration of training
The total duration of the training may not exceed 30 months.
After this time, you lose the benefit of the steps already taken.
The training costs extra.
It varies depending on the training organization.
Several types of aid exist, in particular those offered by the family allowance funds (CAF or MSA).
Your Family Allowance Fund (CAF) can help you finance your Bafa.
There are two types of aid:
- Unconditional national aid of an amount of €91.47 (increased by €15.24 whether deepening is focused on early childhood)
- Local aids (get closer to your Cf to know the conditions)
Inquire with your department's FAC.
Who shall I contact
You are covered by the Agricultural Scheme (AMM)
Some funds of the MSA (Mutualité sociale agricole) offer assistance to finance the Bafa training.
Who shall I contact
You can receive help from €100 for your Bafa or BAFD if you meet one of the following conditions:
- To have completed a mission of civic service in 2022
- Perform a civic service in 2023
You must also have completed a training session (general, improvement or deepening) at Bafa or BAFD.
This session must be completed between 1er January 2023 and 1er september 2024.
To qualify for the aid, you must apply with the Payment and Services Agency.
You must use the following online service:
You must provide the form attesting to your participation in the session Training course validated by your training organization
You must also provide a bank identity statement (or, if not, another document permitting payment).
You must submit your application before 1er december 2024.
In case of request for proof, you have 2 months to reply, from the date of your request.
The aid is limited to the first 10 000 (complete) files received.
The aid will be paid directly into your bank account.
You can also check with your city council or Pôle emploi (if you are a job seeker) to find out what financial assistance you can access.
Some departmental or regional councils also grant aid.
Who shall I contact
Who shall I contact
At the end of the cycle, the 3 stages validated by the session directors are examined by the Bafa jury of the regional academic delegation for youth, engagement and sports (DRAJES).
It's this jury that gives you the diploma or not.
The certificate is granted by the rector of the academic region of the place of your residence.
If you do not obtain the diploma, you have 12 months to resume the unvalidated training sessions or work experience.
The Bafa has a validity period unlimited.
The functions of animation may be exercised, under conditions, by the holders of certain diplomas whose list is fixed by decree (for example diplomas issued by the French Scouting Federation).
No duplicate Bafa is issued in case of loss.
However, you can apply for a certificate of graduation.
To do this, you must find out about the following site by selecting your region:
If you have used this site as soon as you registered, the attestation is available online.
If you have changed your name since graduating from Bafa, you must specify the name under which you obtained the diploma.
Who can help me?
Find who can answer your questions in your region
- Code of Social Action and Families: Articles D432-10 to D432-11Bafa Training
- Order of 15 July 2015 on Bafa and BAFD in collective shelters for minorsArticles 9 to 24
- Order of 9 February 2007 fixing the qualifications and diplomas for the performance of animation and management functions in an animation structureEquivalence animation functions
- Bafa and BAFD registration
- Qualification for Director (BAFD)Service-Public.fr
- Collective reception of minors (ACM) with accommodationMinistry responsible for youth
- Bafa certificate of competency for the duties of facilitator (PDF - 312.5 KB)Ministry responsible for youth
- Professions and professional diplomas in sport and animation (PDF - 1.4 MB)Ministry responsible for youth
- Jeunes.gouv.frMinistry responsible for youth
- BAFA / BAFD Training Aid for Civic Service VolunteersService and Payment Agency (ASP)