Selecting a language will automatically trigger the translation of the page content.

What to do if you are facing long-term financial difficulties?

Verified 16 November 2020 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)

If you are experiencing long-term financial difficulties, you can use a specific procedure to respond to this situation. This procedure (over-indebtedness or default) varies depending on your status: individual or professional.

You are an individual

You can benefit from over-indebtedness procedure 

  • if you are French
  • or if you are a foreigner and have your home in France.

You are self-employed

You must use a termination procedure, whether or not your debts relate to your professional activity if you are:

  • Farmer
  • Artisan
  • Trader
  • Self-employed
  • Liberal profession
  • Micro-entrepreneur (self-entrepreneur)