Is a temporary worker entitled to leave for a job transition project?

Verified 12 April 2022 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)

If you are a temporary worker (often called temporary worker), you can benefit, under conditions, from a leave for a professional transition project (PTP), ex-individual training leave (Cif).

General case

In order to obtain a TPP leave, you must show proof of 1,600 hours of acting service in the last 18 months.

In addition, of the 1,600 hours, 600 must have been completed in the temporary work company or group of temporary work companies where you make the request.

This seniority condition must be met by the day of your departure for training.


if you are in DTA: titleContent, periods without the performance of a mission shall be taken into account for the calculation of seniority.

You are a beneficiary of the employment obligation

You are affected by this employment obligation if you are in one of the following 7 situations:

In this case, there is no no seniority requirement.

Other case

There is no seniority condition if you meet the following 2 conditions:

  • You have changed jobs as a result of being dismissed for economic reasons or incapacity
  • You did not take any training action between your dismissal and your re-employment


Your request for leave must include the following information:

  • Training action start date
  • Designation and duration of this training
  • Name of the organization responsible for the project
  • Name and date of the examination concerned

Deadlines to be respected

You must obtain a written leave of absence from your temporary work company.

A minimum deadline must also be respected. It varies according to the length of the leave.

Répondez aux questions successives et les réponses s’afficheront automatiquement

Leave of less than 6 months or part-time training

The request must be made at least 60 days before the start of the leave.

Leave of 6 months or more

Part-time training

The request must be made at least 60 days before the start of the leave.

Full-time training

The request must be made at least 120 days before the start of the leave.

Employer Response

The temporary company of work must respond within 30 days.

They can refuse the application only if you do not meet the requirements to apply (seniority, the application is not specific enough, or the deadline to apply is not met).

He may postpone the leave only if the date of the application and the date of departure on leave occur during the same mission.

However, the authorization may not be postponed in any of the following cases:

  • The aim of the training is to obtain a qualification in a different sector of activity
  • Training lasts more than 1200 hours

Application for funding

You must make a request for financial support of the training costs to the regional inter-professional joint commission (CPIR) - also called Transitions Pro association - competent in the place of principal residence or work.

This is done during your contract or at the latest 4 months after the end of your last contract (date of submission of the application) and on condition that the training begins at later than 6 months after the end of your contract.

The Commission shall assess whether the proposed training is possible under a TPP.

Example :

Your contract ends on March 31. You can apply for funding until July 31 if the training starts no later than 6 months after the end of the contract, i.e. the end of September.


check with your regional commission (association Transitions Pro) to make sure they have not adopted any other rules. In practice, you may be asked to submit the complete application no later than 3 months before the start of the training.

During working time

Your remuneration during the TPP varies according to the employee's reference salary.

The latter is calculated on the basis of the average salaries received during the last 600 hours of assignment on behalf of the temporary company of work in which you requested to be absent.

All or part of the additional costs (transport, meals, accommodation) may be covered by the IRPC.

Part of the cost of the training may be borne by you.

Totally outside working time

If training takes place totally outside working time, the Regional Inter-professional Joint Committee (RIJC) shall decide only on the reimbursement of teaching costs.

There is no request to take charge of a remuneration.

The duration of the leave shall be treated as a period of assignment for the purpose of calculating entitlements relating to seniority and leave.

You hold a training assignment contract.

You retain your social protection rights.


if the training takes place outside working hours, you can ask the regional inter-professional joint commission (IRJC) to ensure that you have social protection. 

If you've already had a TPP, you have to wait a certain amount of time, says period of exemption, before it can benefit from another TPP.

This period of grace may not be less than 6 months and not more than 6 years.

You can talk to a Career Development Advisor (CEC) about this project.

He can help you for free in your efforts.

It is not the same depending on where you live.

Find your CEP operator