Can you drive in France with a foreigners license?
Verified 01 July 2021 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)
It depends on the country where you got the driver's license.
Répondez aux questions successives et les réponses s’afficheront automatiquement
European country (EU/EEA)
Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain (permit issued before 2021), Sweden, United Kingdom
You can drive in France with your license obtained in a state European (and the UK before 2021) while it is still valid.
The exchange of your European driving license for a French license is not necessary to drive in France.
This procedure is mandatory only in the following 2 cases:
- You are applying for a new license category (extension)
- You commit a traffic offense in France, resulting in a loss of points, restriction, suspension, or cancelation of your license
You can drive in France with your state license no European during a short stay or during your studies under conditions.
If you settle in France, you must request the exchange of your license for a french license (except for a british license issued before 2021).
- Order of 8 February 1999 laying down the conditions for the recognition and exchange of driving licenses issued by EU and EEA States
- Order of 12 January 2012 laying down the conditions for the recognition and exchange of driving licenses issued by States outside the European Economic Area
- Circular of 3 August 2012 on the conditions for recognition and exchange of driving licenses issued by non-EEA countries (PDF - 272.8 KB)
- Driving in France with a license issued in Europe (EEA)Service-Public.fr
- Exchange of a driving license obtained in Europe (EEA)Service-Public.fr
- Driving in France with a foreigners driving license (short stay, studies)Service-Public.fr
- Exchange of driving licenses obtained outside the EEA (installation in France)Service-Public.fr
- Brexit, where are we?Prime Minister