Can a student do an internship in the public service?
Verified 01 January 2023 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)
Yes, if you are a student or student, an administration can welcome you for an internship. The duration of the internship(s) shall be a maximum of 6 months per year of teaching in the same host organization. We present you with the information you need to know.
The school or university education you attend may include periods of vocational training or internships.
You can be accommodated in an internship by an administration if you are a student or student.
You can be French or foreigners educated in France.
The internship is a situation in a professional environment that allows you to acquire professional skills and to implement the gains of your training.
The administration cannot accept you as a trainee to take up a permanent job or replace an absent public official.
The administration cannot accommodate you as an intern to cope with a temporary increase in activity or to occupy a seasonal job.
The host administration appoints a tutor to welcome you and accompany you during your internship.
A traineeship gives rise to the establishment of an agreement between you (or legal representative), the host administration and your educational institution.
The traineeship agreement shall include the following mandatory particulars:
- Name of the reference teacher of your educational institution and name of your tutor in the host administration
- Activities assigned to you based on training objectives and competencies to be acquired
- Start and end dates of your internship and total expected duration
- Weekly period of actual presence to which you are subject in the host administration and possible presence at night, Sunday or public holidays
- Conditions under which the teacher referrer and your tutor provide your supervision and follow-up
- The amount of the bonus paid to you
- Social protection scheme from which you benefit and, if necessary, mention of your obligation to provide insurance covering your civil liability
- Conditions under which you are entitled to take leave, in particular in the context of obligations certified by your educational institution and leave and leave authorizations
- Conditions for suspension and termination of the traineeship agreement and conditions for validation of the traineeship or of the period of training in a professional environment in the event of interruption
- List of advantages offered by the host administration (access to catering or restaurant titles, payment of transport and accommodation costs, ...)
The duration of the internship(s) that you can carry out in the same host organization can be a maximum of 6 months per year of teaching.
Each period of at least 7 hours of presence, consecutive or not, is equivalent to 1 day of training.
Each period of at least 22 consecutive or non-consecutive days of attendance shall be equivalent to one month's probationary period.
You must have a gratification if the duration of your internship is more than 2 consecutive months, or, during the same academic year, 2 consecutive months or not.
This gratification is due to you from 1er day of 1er month of internship.
The amount of the bonus is equal to €4.05 per hour of presence.
It is paid every month.
A simulator is available:
If the duration of your internship is less than 2 months, the host administration can grant you a reward, but it is not mandatory.
In addition, you can take advantage of the partial reimbursement of your transport costs - place of internship under the same conditions as public officials.
You can also benefit from the reimbursement of your accommodation costs if the host administration grants it.
If you are a paramedic student on an internship, you are not concerned by the reward.
The host administration gives you a certificate of internship based on this model:
The certificate shall contain the following information:
- Total effective duration of the training period
- Total amount of bonus paid
- Education Code: Articles L124-1 to L124-20Traineeships and periods of vocational training
- Education Code: Articles D124-1 to D124-13Traineeships and periods of vocational training
- Circular of 26 January 2012 on traineeships for paramedical students (PDF - 67.3 KB)
- Reimbursement of commuting costs (public service)Service-Public.fr
- Minimum reward for a student or pupil in a companyService-Public.fr
- Payment of the traineeship allowance for disabled pupils and studentsFund for the Integration of Persons with Disabilities into the Public Service