Selecting a language will automatically trigger the translation of the page content.

Can you go to your neighbour to do work at home (ladder tower)?

Verified 28 October 2021 - Legal and Administrative Information Directorate (Prime Minister)

Yes, you can pass through your neighbour's land if there is no other way to do work at home: that is called the scale tower.

The scaling is not based on any text, it is subject to rules of use.

However, this right requires the agreement of your neighbour. It is recommended that this agreement be formalised in writing.

You can use a letter template:

Request permission to enter the neighbouring land to do work at home

Répondez aux questions successives et les réponses s’afficheront automatiquement

Your neighbour is willing to let you pass on his land

However, it is recommended that the following elements be defined together in writing:

  • Duration
  • Dates and times of transit
  • Precautions to take to avoid damage to the land

You can plan to compensate your neighbour by paying him a occupancy allowance for the disturbance of the use of his land. The amount of this allowance is free.

Your neighbour doesn't agree or you don't get an answer

You can use a judicial conciliator. This procedure is free.

If the disagreement persists, you can appeal to the court.

Authorisation is granted by the judge only in one of the following 2 cases:

  • No other technical solution allows you to do your work
  • There is another way to do your work, but this solution is overly complex or expensive