Customs: which products are allowed to leave France during a trip?

Verified 21 June 2022 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)

Before going abroad with goods, you should check whether you are allowed to travel with these products. You should also check if their exit from France is authorized or not authorized. We will explain to you what the customs formalities.

Before leaving France, you should check the following 3 points: 

  • Do you have the right to travel with the products you want to take away?
  • Should these products be declared to French customs at their exit from France ?
  • Are these products allowed to to enter the country from your destination?

You can inquire at the following service:

Who shall I contact

You can also contact the consular authorities in France or the customs or tourist services of the country of destination:

Please note

Remember to check the Travel advice from the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Here you will find information specific to each country.

You cannot not travel with the following products, regardless of the country of your destination:

  • Narcotics
  • Pedophilic products and objects (containing images or depictions of minors of a pornographic nature)
  • Counterfeits

Some countries prohibit the entry into their territory of the following products:

  • Special foodstuffs (alcohol, non-sterilized foodstuffs such as cheese or cold cuts)
  • Electronic devices such as cameras, camcorders


If you are traveling with medicines classified as narcotic (methadone, morphine) you must travel with your doctor's prescription.

Find out more about these products from your destination country's customs and plant health authorities at the border.

Who shall I contact


If these products are concealed, not declared or not authorized, you are subject to significant criminal and financial penalties.

Products subject to customs declaration

You have to make a customs declaration for certain products when leaving France.

These products are:

Authorization to exit a cultural object

To transport a cultural object, you must do the following:

Application for authorization to circulate a cultural object / national treasure

Authorization to remove a weapon or ammunition


If you are a professional sport hunter or shooter, you do not need to apply for special permission. You must present your hunting license or shooting license.

Otherwise, for the transport of a weapon or ammunition, you must:

Répondez aux questions successives et les réponses s’afficheront automatiquement

Travel in the EU

Travel outside the EU

Authorization for the exit of a pet

If you are traveling with your pet, you must complete health formalities before departure.

The following animals are considered by Customs as pets:

  • Domestic carnivores: dogs, cats, ferrets
  • Reptiles
  • Amphibians
  • Invertebrates (excl. bees and crustaceans)
  • Domestic rodents and rabbits
  • Ornamental fish
  • All bird species except poultry

Find out what to do with customs.

Who can help me?

Find who can answer your questions in your region