Selecting a language will automatically trigger the translation of the page content.


Verified 05 août 2021 - Legal and Administrative Information Directorate (Prime Minister)

You want to change your first name because it harms you? You must apply to the town hall of your place of residence or to the town hall of the place where your birth certificate was made. The registrar must enter public prosecutor if he or she does not consider your request to be in a legitimate interest. If you refuse, you can appeal to the Family Court.

What applies to you ?

Depending on your personal situation, the steps to take may vary.

Where were you born?
Where do you live?
Is this a first name change for a major?