How to adopt a child abroad?

Verified 01 January 2023 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)

Suspensions of international adoptions in some countries

Published on 1 January 2023

Procedures for international adoption by any person residing in France are suspended :

  • Until June 30, 2023 concerning children having their habitual residence in Haiti
  • Until December 31, 2023 concerning children having their habitual residence in Ukraine
  • Effective January 1, 2023 concerning children having their habitual residence in Russia
  • Until further notice concerning Congolese, Central African Republic and Dominican Republic children respectively residing in Democratic Republic of Congo, in Central African Republic and Dominica.

Who can adopt?

In order to adopt a child abroad, respect both the legislation in force in France (age condition, married or not, living alone or in a couple) and each country of origin.

What conditions are required?

  • You need to get a approval. It is delivered by your department's Child Welfare Department (CSO).
Who shall I contact
  • You must obligatory address to the French Adoption Agency (AFA) or to a Authorized Adoption Organization (OAA).
Who shall I contact


in general, the adoption of a child foreigner may not be granted if there is no solution for him in his country of origin. The law of the country of the child must allow adoption.

Répondez aux questions successives et les réponses s’afficheront automatiquement

Child adopted abroad

Where the adoption is lawfully pronounced abroad, she is recognized in France.

You must then send a request for transcription to the Public Prosecutor of the Nantes Judicial Court.

Who shall I contact

The request shall take the form of a request written, dated and signed.

You must specify the civil status records that need to be updated.

Your Query must be accompanied a copy of the decision in its original form or in certified copy.

The decision must be translated into French. This translation is done by a certified translator. Translation costs must be paid in advance.

Find a certified translator or interpreter registered with the Court of Appeal

During this process, you can also request the renaming.

In case of refusal of transcription, you can use one of the following procedures:

  • Assign the public prosecutor before the Nantes Court of Justice. Representation by lawyer is mandatory.
  • Ask For exequatur of the judicial decision before the competent court within the jurisdiction of your domicile. The exequatur procedure requires a lawyer.
  • Drop a motion for full adoption before the competent court within the jurisdiction of your domicile. In this case, the adopted child will bear the name of the adoptive parent. The cchange of namem can be requested in the request.

You send your request on free paper or using the cerfa form n°15742.

Motion for full adoption of a child by an individual

The request must be filed or sent by registered letter with acknowledgement of receipt to the court of your residence.

Who shall I contact

Child adopted in France

When the child arrives in France andno decision has been taken abroad, you can file a motion for simple or full adoption before the court.

The competent court shall be that of the rspring from your home.

If it is a simple adoption :

Motion for simple adoption of a minor by an individual

If it is a plenary adoption:

Motion for full adoption of a child by an individual

In case ofplenary adoption, the adopted shall bear the name of the adopter and the chfirst name change can be requested.

In case ofsimple adoption, theaddition or replacement of the adopted person's name can be requested, the original name can also be preserved under certain conditions.

The transcript of adoption is performed automatically by the Public Prosecutor's Office.

Who shall I contact


adoption by the plenary may be pronounced only after a period of 6 months from the time the child is taken into the home of the adoptive parent(s).