Application for a birth certificate: full copy or extract (birth abroad) - Free service (Online service)
Ministry for Europe and Foreign Affairs
Allows you to request a birth certificate of a person of French nationality born abroad or in a State that has become independent (e.g. Algeria, Tunisia, Morocco),
3 different documents can be issued:
- Let's say one full copy (i.e. reproduction of the entire birth certificate)
- Let's say one extracted with parentage
- Let's say one unrelated extract
The approach is free.
- have (or create) an account Service-Public.fr
- or log in with FranceConnect.
The time limit for issuing the birth certificate shall be approximately 20 days.
When the act is available, you will have to log in again to your personal space Service-Public.fr: you will be able to download it in PDF format.
You can also request to receive the document by mail (in this case, the delay may vary depending on the time of delivery of the mail).
The document shall include the electronic signature of a registrar.
Verified 28 April 2023 - Legal and Administrative Information Directorate (Prime Minister)
For details, please use the practical information sheets :
- Birth certificate: request for full copy or extract
- Identity card / Passport: how to prove your French nationality?
- ID card of an adult: first request
- How do I get a certificate of Civil partnerships?
- How do you know if a lost person is still alive?
- Do I need to present a certificate of non-Civil partnership to enter into a civil partnership for
- Marriage of a Frenchman abroad
- Marriage in France
- Renewal of the identity card of a major
- Is there a period of validity of a civil status document?