Annual specific allowance for students in difficulty

Verified 01 January 2024 - Legal and Administrative Information Directorate (Prime Minister)

You are a student and you are experiencing lasting financial difficulties? You may, subject to conditions, be entitled to the annual specific allowance. This is financial assistance that can be paid to you if you do not receive the scholarship on social criteria.

To be eligible for the specific assistance, you must be a student, have lasting financial difficulties and be under 35 years of age on 1er September of the training year for which you are requesting it.

This age limit does not apply if you are recognized as disabled by the Committee on the Rights and Autonomy of Persons with Disabilities (CDAPH).

Please note

if the financial difficulties you are experiencing are temporary, you are more likely to ad hoc aid.

You must meet the same conditions of diploma, study, nationality as for the social criteria grant (BCS).

However, you do not have to collect the BCS in order to receive the annual allowance. You also need to follow your courses assiduously.

You can therefore benefit from the annual aid if you are in one of the following situations:

  • You're over 28 and you're back in school. You must not receive any other support (e.g. unemployment benefits or the RSA). Your resources must be less than the ceiling provided for in the scale of awards on social criteria. Contact the social service of the regional center of academic and school works (Crous) on which you depend.
  • You are French or a citizen of another country of the European Economic Area (EEA)) or Switzerland and live alone in France. The declared income of your family residing abroad does not allow you to assess your right to the scholarship.
  • You are raised by a family member without a court order (uncle, aunt, grandparents for example)
  • You are in a situation of family breakdown (after social assessment of your isolation and precariousness)
  • You are fiscally independent and no longer receive material support from your parents. You must have a separate home from your parents or have a separate tax return. You must show proof of salaries of at least an annual amount €4,139.36 in the last 12 months before your request for assistance


if you are not in one of these situations, the review board can still consider your application if it deems it legitimate.

Contact the social service of the regional center of academic and school works (Crous) on which you depend to make your request.

Who shall I contact

The request for emergency aid shall be examined by a committee. The application shall be submitted anonymously.

If necessary, a prior interview may be held with a social worker of the Course. It makes it possible to assess your overall situation, especially with regard to your academic career and the difficulties you encounter.

After examining the file, the committee shall issue an award or refusal notice and propose an amount to the Director of the Court.

The Director of the Crous shall decide on the final amount of the aid.

If you wish to challenge a decision concerning you, you can make a ex gratia appeal to the director of the Crous.

The amount of the aid corresponds to one of the steps 0 bis to 7 of the grant on social criteria, namely between €1,454 and €6,335 per year.

The aid is paid by the Crous throughout the academic year.

The number of monthly payments may be reduced if the student's situation warrants it, but it is at least 6.

The annual emergency aid is eligible for exemption from university fees.

A new annual aid may be granted the following year under the same conditions and up to a maximum of 7 years (subject to exceptions).

The annual specific allocation is cumulable with a international mobility aid, a ad hoc specific aid and one merit aid.

However, she is not cumulative with a scholarship based on social criteria.

If you are experiencing severe financial hardship during your studies, you can get information about emergency supports by phone.

Who shall I contact

Who can help me?

Find who can answer your questions in your region