Selecting a language will automatically trigger the translation of the page content.

What if support is not paid?

Verified 07 May 2019 - Directorate for Legal and Administrative Information (Prime Minister)

As creditor, you can obtain the recovery of arrears of maintenance fixed by a court order, if your debtor does not pay or improperly pay support.

You have several ways to get this payment:

The limitation period for an action for payment of maintenance arrears is 5 years.

Please note

the offense of abandonment of a family may also be committed against the debtor. This offense is punishable by 2 years' imprisonment and €15,000 fine.